Where machines once hummed...
In 1892, construction began on a factory building in what was then the outskirts of Erlangen. A year later, the company Reiniger, Gebbert and Schall moved into the premises.
The young company flourished, and by 1897/98 the factory had been expanded to almost twice its original size. At this point, Reiniger, Gebbert & Schall already had over 400 employees.
On the ground floor was the factory’s machine room, which is now home to the Siemens Healthineers MedMuseum.
In 1910, a structure which became known as the administrative building was erected alongside the factory to provide offices for the company’s directors and managerial staff.
As the factory grew, numerous other manufacturing and office buildings were erected from 1925 to 1985 in the area between Gebbertstrasse, Luitpoldstrasse, Hartmannstrasse and Henkestrasse.
The original factory was given listed status. From 2010 to 2014, the ground floor was refurbished under the architectural supervision of Simone Krainz to house the MedMuseum and the MedArchiv.
A modern, light-flooded annex was built against the brick facade to serve as a foyer and multipurpose area for the MedMuseum.
Today, the Siemens Healthineers MedMuseum receives visitors from all over the world.